The Gdynia Holy Family Church designed by Jerzy Müeller has one of the city’s smallest church interiors. The history of its construction started at the beginning of 1931. Ultimately, it was decided that the church would be built with a presbytery for two priests. Among others, the construction was possible thanks to the support of the First Polish Sea Bath Association which donated 15 thousand burnt bricks and Anna Konkel’s donation of the 1250 m2 plot of land. Parishioners also engaged in the construction of the church and not only provided donations but also helped with the construction works diligently.
On 30th March 1931, the metropolitan curia introduced corrections in Müeller’s design. There was a recommendation to integrate the tower with the body of the church and to give it a more sacred aura. The entire process was supervised by Rev. Wojciech Surman, the first parish priest who described the particular stages of the construction in a chronicle (the amount and kind of materials which were delivered, the course of the construction works, etc.). It even mentions unfavourable weather conditions. As one of the notes says, during the cornerstone blessing ceremony, the amount of 2369 zł and 2 gr was collected.
The ceremony of the church’s consecration was held on 11th October 1931. It was consecrated by the bishop ordinary of the Chełm diocese, Reverend Bishop Okoniewski.
The Holy Family Church was among the first three Gdynia churches erected in the early 30s of the 20th century outside the city centre. The company Ge-Te-Pe was the main contractor. It was run by Stefan Jaroszewski MSc and Romuald Müeller MSc.
The single-nave building with a gable roof was erected on a rectangular plan, just as the tower which is adjacent to it. The building represents puristic functionalism. A part of its walls’ surface was covered with face bricks, while a part was plastered. In the upper part, there is a clinker wall, which supports the cross. On the chancel and organ gallery side, the church has a plain wall. In the church, there are four reinforced concrete spans.
In the Holy Family Church there are several objects and architectural elements from the inter-war period which have survived. These are fragments of the original flooring with checked slabs, stairs with a balustrade, some handles, a crucifix, the tabernacle door (with an image of angels facing each other), a candlestick and figures of Mother Mary, Christ and Christ Crucified. In the building’s outside body, there are original clinker bricks.
Though the Holy Family Church avoided damage during World War II, it was necessary to conduct renovation works.