The Swedish Seamen’s Home was built in Gdynia in 1936. He two-storey building which accommodated the consulate of the Kingdom of Sweden, an evangelical church and a hotel was located at the junction of Jana z Kolna and Władysława IV Streets. It was designed in 1935 by a Warsaw architect, Stanisław Płoski. The building was an original combination of two architectural trends – functionalism and regionalism. It is very noticeable in the two overlapping wings of the building which are situated at right angle. They are of different heights and colours. The textures of their elevations’ finishing materials also differ. The eastern part on the Władysława IV Street side is the hotel part. Its lower, hexaxial elevation with the entrance on the southern edge has bight, sand-coloured plaster and no ornaments. These formal elements are the building’s connection to functionalism. The higher, northern wing of the former chapel and consulate with the arcade over the main entrance from Jana z Kolna Street was finished with red bricks and washed plaster which imitated granite plates. It was a reference to the local architecture which used stone. The combination of clinker bricks and the bright plaster stretches is a typical artistic solution in the modernist Gdynia buildings (for example the Rice Mill’s elevation).
The Swedish Seamen’s Home’s interiors were divided functionally into the public part with the protestant chapel for 400 people, the business part with hotel rooms for the seamen and the private part with the pastor’s apartment.
The sacred part was decorated with frescos of biblical motifs. The scenes of the catch of fish, Baptism of Jesus and the calling of St. Peter were painted on the chapel’s walls by Witold Mars and Stanisław Teisseyre, who were associated with the Lviv Union of Artists. Today, there is a theatre room there and the wall paintings have been covered.
Many original elements have survived in the interior. On the ground floor, there is a white, swinging door with brass hand rails, metal knobs from the “Bracia Lubert” company in the interior door and the floor on the ground floor which consists of rectangular terazzo tiles arranged into grey and green stripes. Terazzo was also used for the stairs which lead to the first floor. They are green with grey stair risers and grey landings bordered in green. The stairs are surrounded by a banister with a wooden handrail. In the first floor, there is the original oak herringbone parquet, inlaid door leading to the former chapel with panels framed with dark slats and a fireplace lined with ceramics with terazzo elements.
In the north-east corner of the building, there is an interesting wooden structure which has survived. In the past, it supported the bell. It is shielded by a wooden blind through which the sound of the bell would get out, just as in the church towers.
On 25th March 1987, the building was entered into the register of monuments. Since 25th August 2018, the Consulate of Culture has been located there.