On 6th November 1935, in the Technical Department of the Government Office in Gdynia, the revised building plan of a dwelling house for the mechanical technician Romulad Żukowski in 5 Tatrzańska Street was approved.
The building was designed by Jerzy Müller, a graduate of the Faculty of Architecture at the Technical University of Munich (1912) and Stefan Reychman, a graduate of the Faculty of Architecture at the Warsaw University of Technology.
The construction was concluded on 12th May 1936 and Jerzy Müller was its site manager.
The over 130 m² residential building was constructed on a 600 m2 plot of land with a 6m downslope. The architects used the topography to integrate Romuald Żukowski’s house into the land’s morphology. It is a five-storey building with two storeys below the street level.
Two cellars as well as a laundry and a drying room were planned in the house’s lowest part. On the lower and higher ground floor, there were 3-room apartments, with large hallways, bathrooms, toilets, kitchens and servants’ rooms. A room with a bathroom was placed in the attic.
The building was finished with a wooden double felt covered roof. It was heated with tile stoves. The apartments’ floors were covered with pine parquets. Double windows and panel doors were installed.
The simple, cuboid body of the building was distinguished by a deep entrance arcade, large windows on the west side which lit the apartments on the two top floors and the corner windows on the west side with a structural column which was recessed from the face of the wall. This composition element, which was typical of modernist architecture, made it seem as if the spaces inside and outside the house interpenetrated. It also made the wall’s structure look less material, as a result of which the building seemed much lighter. The building’s thermal efficiency improvement which was conducted recently fortunately spared this elegant detail.
The unique decoration of the entrance arcade’s pillar is also worth noticing. It consists of a stylized drawing of vine leafs against a horizontally grooved background. It is made in a brick red masonry plaster. This symmetrical, ornamental composition covers the pillar's four sides. It is connected with a brick balustrade which separates the entrance area from the narrow stairs which lead to the garden. On the front elevation, on the arcade’s line, under a window, there is a narrow moulding plastered in brick red and decorated with grooving.
In the building, in its staircase, there is the original floor made of terrazzo in three colours. Its composition resembles a grey rectangular carpet surrounded with a thin, red frame against a black background. The reinforced concrete half-turn stairs are also original. They are finished with black terrazzo, with thick, white grain. It can be seen on the treadboards and a four-sided post which flanks the solid, brick balustrade. Its edge was finished with light wood. A wooden handrail painted black was fixed on streamlined brass brackets. The stairs’ landings are decorated with a terrazzo composition resembling a grey “carpet” against a black background.