The rail post forwarding at the Chylonia train station began as early as in 1870, when the train connection from Gdańsk to Słupsk was established. In 1977, it was given the status of 3rd class Post and Telegraphic Office. In 1927, the post and telecommunications office moved to a new building. After Chylonia became a part of Gdynia in 1930, it received the name UPT Gdynia-4 (Post Office no. 4 in Gdynia). It moved into its today’s building in 1935, which was when the new building was put in use.
The functionalist post office building is composed of two two- and three-storey cuboidal structures on an L-shaped plan. In the corner part, they are connected by the lower element in which there is the entrance for enquirers. The ground floor part of the taller office part is separated from the remaining two storeys with a narrow moulding which protrudes from the face of the building. The architect used the characteristic combination of contrasting surfaces of the elevation’s particular fragments or their parts. The building’s distinctive style is emphasized by a bright plaster which is used interchangeably with brown-coloured face brick. The main entrance of the post office’s public part was placed in its south-west corner. Above the entrance, on the wall, which is smoothly finished with bricks, there is a low relief of the eagle from the national emblem stylized as Art Deco. This decoration, was removed by the invader’s forces after World War II began, just as other details with the Second Republic of Poland symbols on the city’s public buildings. It never returned to its original place.
The play of the building elements’ offset arrangement gives the structure a light and modern appearance. In the back of the building, there were the back-up facilities like garages for the post vehicles. A semi-circular staircase’s projection adds variety to one of the building’s back elevations.
The interiors of the Chylonia post office were decorated with an interesting ornamental element: a brass metalwork emblem. It was treated the same way as the elevations decoration. However, this detail spent the entire war hidden in the cellar of the Post and Telegraphic Office no. 1 in 10 Lutego Street. After the war, it was displayed on the wall of the Post Office’s main hall.