The PAGED company’s tenement house is located on the corner of Świętojańska and Armi Krajowej Streets. It was designed by the architect and engineer Jan Bochniak in 1933 and then completed by an architect and engineer Kamierz Krzyżanowski and his company in 1934 (the cornerstone was blessed on 5th May 1934). It was constructed in one Gdynia’s most elegant places – in the very Centre, along the main shopping arcades. It was an office and residential building whose construction was initiated by the company PAGED – Polish Wood Export Agency which traded in wood and produced furniture (it still operates in Warsaw). It used to be its seat. During the occupation, when Germans renamed Gdynia to Gotenhafen, the tenement house became the seat of the NSDAP management. After the war, the facility was taken over by the Forest Management and Forest Geodesy Office which still occupies its major part.
The tenement house is located at the junction of two streets which determines its L-shaped plan. The ground floor storey is faced with brown and red stone tiles; the same material was used at the lesenes and cornices. The particular parts of the building have distinctive, slightly profiled crowning cornice. On the north side, there are four floors with six rows of windows (including one deep-seated window), which are highlighted with a bottom cornice. The middle, faulted part has five floors. The architect used a reinforced concrete frame construction in this part of the building. He was the first one in Gdynia to use the vertical division of the elevation determined by the rhythm of the contrasting lesenes. On the east side, there are four floors with seven rows of windows. In the four-storey parts of the building, terraces were made on the top fields of the roof.
At the first sight, the building seems asymmetrical because of the recessed corner. However, inside, there are regular and roomy staircases with elevator shafts.
The tenement house is simple, monumental, rhythmic and regular. The recessed corner with an additional storey is its distinctive feature. During the restoration of the modernist tenement houses of Gdynia in 2013, the building was renovated. The PAGED company’s tenement house is among the facilities which are a part of one of the Gdynia Modernism Route walks.