In 1928, Wacław Tomaszewski, a graduate of the Faculty of Architecture Karlsruhe Polytechnic School (1910) received the largest architectural job in his professional career – the complex of Vocational Schools in Gdynia’s Grabówek District.
The architect interpreted this huge, prestigious task as a strong, monumental, axial architectural and spacial solution. The building of the Maritime Trade and Port Technology School was the centre of the complex. It was put in use on 1st October 1929. The building was located at the courtyard which faced Szosa Gdańska (today’s Morska Street), which is enclosed by the building of the National Maritime School and by the Boarding House on the left. There were residential buildings for the professors and school workshops in the complex too.
The Maritime Trade and Port Technology School building has a symmetrical façade with a textural elevation décor and unique art déco detail. The axial composition is emphasized by the massive portal. The additional storey which resembles a small palace with a flat roof makes the building look more monumental. It is the centre of the entire intent and a historic reference to palace architecture. The front elevation, which is divided with lines of identical rectangular windows, is a vertical composition. The areas between the windows have the form of shallow pilasters. The space between the pilasters and windows is covered with a geometrical composition – grey cement bricks arranged into a herringbone pattern. The edifice's entrance portal has the form of a projection. The portal’s bases were defined by horizontal lines of protruding bricks. In the final, there is an area of vertical brick lines which outline the arcade’s range. The arcade’s inside was divided into two areas. In one third of its height, there is an entrance and above it, there is a glazed in surface divided with segmented pillars.
The building’s top floor is finished with light grey plaster which matches the cement bricks’ colour. Below it, you can see the red bricks of the construction.
The building’s interior is decorated by the centrally located elegant staircase.
In the architectural plan of the Maritime Trade and Port Technology School, Wacław Tomaszewski presented an innovative approach to the issue of lighting. All the rooms in the building are very well lit and in the lecture halls there is even more light thanks to skylights.
Maritime Trade and Port Technology School (Today’s Centre for Continuing Education no. 1)