When the construction of the Gdynia port had gained the proper velocity, the key maritime administration institution was transferred from Wejherowo to Gdynia and then its name was changed from Merchant Marine Office to Maritime Office.
The construction of the Maritime Office’s seat began in spring of 1927, on a plot of land in Centralna Street. Through the distinctive, symmetrical composition, the body of this important public facility constitutes a reference to the classic principles of design. The bold combination of cuboid elements is the first fully early modernist architectural solution in the port. Its central upper part was highlighted with a clock tower and topped with a glass lighthouse, which emphasized the character of the institution symbolically. Crystal motifs were the inspiration for the architectural details, which therefore were a reference to the art deco style.
In 1936, when the surface of the Maritime Office’s building became insufficient for its administrative needs, its main body was extended with two wings. The parts which were facing West also formed a small courtyard behind the building.