On 6th July 1938, the Technical Department of the Government Office in Gdynia approved the architectural plan for the tenement house in 118 Świętojańska Street designed by Tadeusz Jędrzejewski, the Graduate of the Warsaw University of Technology (1928).
Jan Medlikowski, an entrepreneur and owner of a company which produced juices and sold alcohols was the investor.
The building was finished before the outbreak of World War II, however it was not plastered. The design’s author supervised the works.
An impressive frontage tenement house with business premises and a gateway on the ground floor was constructed.
This five storey apartment house with a recessed top floor and a terrace in front of it was placed on concrete foundations. It had a roof covered with double felt.
The building’s elevation is characterised by a distinctive, symmetrical 14 axes composition with narrow, vertical windows, with single transom bars. A rhythmical vertical series of three lessens decorates the middle part in the line over the entrance. The tenement house’s visual concept was maintained in the spirit of moderate modernism, which combined the elements of a classic tradition with the structure’s functionalist features.
The tenement house was finished with stucco which gleamed in the sun thanks to a mica addition. The façade's decoration is based on a geometric play of narrow vertical grey lines – lesenes and the surfaces between the windows as well as the wide horizontal white stripes which separate the building's consecutive floors.
The building’s entrance is highlighted by an offset portal which was finished with black cladding in our times.
The décor of the tenement’s bright and spacious staircase is maintained in the Art Déco shades of elegant black and muted white. The floor is covered with decorative stone – warm beige Morawica limestone which was also referred to as “limestone from Świętokrzyskie region”. The same kind of stone was used on the landings and treadboards of the half-turn stairs. The risers and bases were covered with black Dębnik limestone. The stairs have a solid, brick balustrade with a streamlined handrail fixed on openwork, metal posts.