In November 1937, the apartment house with a bakery at the junction of Mikołaja Reja and Legionów Streets, in Wzgórze Focha (today’s Wzgórze Św. Maksymiliana) was put in use. It was designed in 1936, by a graduate of the Warsaw University of Technology (1932), Halina Migurska. The Gotowała married couple – a master baker and pastry chef as well as his wife Helena – were the investors.
On the ground floor of the two and partly three-storey brick building with a full cellar, there are business premises and a bakery. In the revised building plan for the bakery from 1937, which was implemented later on, instead of the original garages adjacent to the building, Halina Migurska proposed adding an extension with a cellar to the bakery. Among others, it accommodated machines for sieving flour, kneading dough, forming bread rolls and, above all, a mechanical baking oven.
The architect planned 2 and 3-room apartments on the building’s first and second floor and a 2-room apartment with a bathroom kitchen and servant’s room in the attic. The floors in the rooms and halls were finished with oak flooring strips. The kitchen and servants’ rooms’ floors were made of pinewood while the bathroom ones were covered with terrazzo. The walls and floors of the bakery were covered with white tiles. White tiled-stoves and gas cookers were installed in the kitchen. The wiring of the lighting, bells and radio were covered with plaster.
The cuboid body of the Gotowałas’ apartment house has a two-storey corner part accentuated with reinforced concrete balconies and topped by a terrace with a simple metal balustrade. The separate windows were decorated with thin, vertical grooved stripes – horizontal grooves in the brick-red plaster which contrast with the elevation covered with dark beige semi-stucco. Some of the bakery’s windows are decorated the same way. The ground floor window was secured with a metal bars. The ground floor with the shops was separated from the residential part by a decorative moulding with vertical grooving. Near the entrance facing M. Reja Street, on the left, there was a glassed, illuminated address lantern. The floor in Piotr Gotowała’s shop with the entrance from Legionów Street made of corset-shaped tiles deserves special attention. Its unique composition is based on a geometric floral pattern which consists of yellow, white, red and black tiles. The ceramic flowers with white centres (single vertically or horizontally placed corset-shaped tile) and yellow petals (made of 24 sun-coloured tiles on a square plan) were arranged on a “grid” – vertical and horizontal lines consisting of black and red “corsets”.