In year 1950-1957, the railway station building designed by Wacław Tomaszewski, the graduate of the Faculty of Architecture at the Karlsruhe Polytechnic School (1919), was built in Gdynia’s Plac Konstytucji.
The new railway station was located exactly where the previous one was. Additionally, a separate suburban train station for handling electric trains was planned. The construction of the complex was started in 1950. The central part of the station and its right wing were put in use first. In the left wing, the main passageway to the platforms was planned. It went through the station tunnel which had been developed as a part of the pre-war station and the passageway to the electric trains. Apart from that, facilities for passengers were located there: a large restaurant, a waiting room, luggage room and a number of ticket windows. This part was completed in 1955 and four years later the suburban part was put in use.
The building’s architecture, which consists of a combination of cuboidal structures, is rooted in modernism’s tradition and has its characteristics, transformed by the spirit of the dominant socialist realism. The symmetrical, clear composition of the station’s main part, vertical accents of the front elevations and the architectural detail resemble Tomaszewski’s buildings from the interwar period.
The main building’s ground floor’s interior with a lavishly decorated restaurant as well as the main hall and the ticket office area is the most interesting one. Their floors were covered with domestic limestone mosaics: black Dębnik, beige Morawica and red-brown Bolechowice. There are rhythmical divisions of the walls and ceilings built of stucco panels, rustications and coffers. The décor is complemented by the door woodwork (massive, panel, glazed in leafs in the main hall and the passageway to the suburban station) and wooden portals with small columns.
The classicism of the majestic forms of the main and side hall is broken through with large surfaces of four multicoloured mosaics designed by Teresa Pągowska and Hanna Żuławska.
The longest ceramic composition depicts a fantasy port. It was placed on the wall opposite the entrance facing Konstytucji Square.
Another two mosaics cover the walls of the side hall, opposite the former luggage room. To the left of the restaurant's side entrance there is a composition with marine flora and fauna, while the mosaic on the right shows a sky over a marina.
A composition with two running Pegasi and the rail’s symbol was placed over the restaurant’s entrance.
The restaurant is the entire building’s most elegant room. Its walls and ceiling are covered with painted travel and navigation themed decoration. It was completed by a team of artists (Krystyna Lada-Studnicka, Urszula Ruhnke-Duszeńko and Maksymilian Kasprowicz) supervised by Juliusz Studnicki and based on his design.
On 11.08.2008, thanks to the beauty of its space and rich interior decor, Gdynia’s railway station complex was entered into the register of monuments under the number A-1834.