Today’s City Hall in Marszałka Józefa Piłsudskiego Alley (until 1931 al. Kasyna), and the former Municipal Council and Government Office, was constructed in two stages.
The facility was designed by the architect Jerzy Müeller who was also appointed the supervisor of the development site.
In 1930, the building’s first wing was put in use. In the late 30s of the 20th century, a decision was taken to extend the building. The second wing which was one storey higher was added in 1937, on the side of 52/54 Marszałka Józefa Piłsudskiego Alley. This is where the main entrance with wide, revolving door was placed too. In 1933-1939, Franciszek Sokół was the government commissioner. There was a special flat for him in the building.
The cubist form and vertical layout are the building’s characteristic features. Shallow, vertical recesses with windows were divided by lesenes. It is all crowned with a cornice facing.
When it comes to the surviving original interior fittings, there is an oblong, wooden bench from the pre-war period (which currently is on the third floor) and tables from the interwar period (today on the ground floor). There also are details like a ventilation grating, power switch, window grates, terazzo staircases with a wooden handrail and four pillars which support the celling in the building’s ground floor. There also is a preserved garage door from that time on the side of Józefa Bema Street.
The building was damaged during the military activity in 1945 and renovated afterwards. In the period of the Polish People’s Republic, a decision was made to add one storey to the building so that all of it is the same height as the new wing. Since 1973, after another local government system reform, the building changed its name to Gdynia City Hall. Some of its departments are located in different parts of the city. These are, for example, the Department of Social Matters (former building of the Polish Ocean Lines) in 24 10 Lutego Street and the Department of Culture (former Swedish Seamen’s Home) in 25 Jana z Kolna Street.