On 10th June 1934, the Technical Department of the Construction Supervision of the Government Office in Gdynia issued a building permit for the tenement house in 13 Morska Street designed by Stanisław Żwirski, a graduate of the Faculty of Architecture at the Lviv Polytechnic. Mr and Mrs Sikora – Jan, the owner of a prosperous construction company who designed several Gdynia’s buildings and his wife Eugenia – were the investors.
The tenement house was put in use in July 1935 and the architect supervised the construction works as well.
It is a five-storey residential building with business premises. It has a cellar and its top floor is recessed from the front and has a terrace in front of it. A modern reinforced concrete load-bearing frame was used in the tenement house’s which was built according the Le Corbusier’s open plan principle.
Two 3-room apartments with kitchens, bathrooms and pantries were planned on each of the building’s floors. There were bedsit rooms as well.
The building’s bright façade with no balconies and a symmetrical composition as well as a banded arrangement of clearly marked mouldings which surrounded the groups of windows from above and below is typical of late functionalism.
The elevation was finished with smooth decorative sand-coloured plaster and clearly divided into rectangular fields. The dividing lines imitate joints of cladding panels.
The tenement’s ground floor which accommodates 4 business premises was covered with charcoal grey ceramic tiles.
In the building’s staircase, there is an original double door with an ornamental glass transom window divided into three parts.
The floor is decorated with two carpet-like compositions of corset-shaped tiles in a classic white , grey and black check arrangement with a grey frame against a black background.
The reinforced concrete half-turn stairs were finished with black terrazzo with thick, white grains on the treadboards and a light grey one on the risers. The landings are decorated with a rectangular “terrazzo carpet” against a black background. The stairs are surrounded with a solid, brick balustrade with a wooden handrail fixed on metal centilevers.
Eugenia and Jan Sikora's Tenement House