Due to a significant increase in goods trade in the Gdynia port in 1934, a nationwide architectural design competition was announced for the design of a new Customs Office building in Gdynia which would meet the new needs. Stanisław Odyniec-Dobrowolski, a Warsaw architect, was the author of the winning design.
The body of the building formed from asymmetrically combined box-like elements was shaped according to the principles of functionalism. It is on a c-shaped plan, with a semi-open yard on the south side. The tower part of the building located on its corner is the predominant architectural feature of the building. It has a distinctive pattern of lesenes and perpendicular lines of narrow windows. These are features of verticalism which were typical in the late 30s of the 20th century. The composition is closed with an artistic decoration in the form of a national coat of arms eagle relief and a flag post. In the building, there was not only the spacious customs clearance hall and a fine vestibule which led to it but also the customs management, administration and apartments for the staff.
At the beginning of German occupation, some of the facility’s interiors were adapted to a completely different function – a maritime garrison hospital for the Kriegsmarine (Marine Lazaret).
Today, the building is administrated by the Port of Gdynia Authority S.A.
View of the Customs Office and Border Patrol from the north-east side 1936 9 Rotterdamska Street, Gdynia