In 1937, a graduate of the Faculty of Architecture at the Lviv Polytechnic (1921), the architecture engineer Stanisław Ziołowski designed a tenement house in 9 Słupecka Street for the married couple Bronisława and Antoni Konopka. This multi-family residential building with a business premises on the ground floor located in the Działki Leśne district was built in years 1937-1938 and its construction was supervised by the architect himself. The four-storey building with a cellar and a flat roof is located on a corner plot of land, with elevations facing Słupecka Street and Pomorska Streets.
The body of the building, which is a combination of cuboid and streamlined forms, represents functionalism with clear references to the “ocean liner” style (streamline), which was really popular in Gdynia architecture of the late 30s of the 20th c.
The tenement house is characterised by its corner’s cylindrical form and a strongly emphasized banded arrangement of the elevation, in which the window “bands” were highlighted by prominent strips of mouldings. They group the windows and loggias which have been placed on three floors. They surround the corner, tie the composition of both elevations together and are a visual reference to ship decks. The offset top storey of the building with elongated loggias supported by three pillars brings associations with the superstructure of a ship hull and the single windows in vertical arrangement resemble a bridge.
The buildings’ elevations were finished with sand coloured stucco. The interiors of the loggias, which are covered with claret stucco, stand out against the light background. This way, the strip between the windows on the streamlined corner was highlighted.
The ground floor with the corner business premises with large shop windows was cut through by a cordon cornice which surrounded both façades.
The asymmetrical entrance arcade was finished with dark claret masonry plaster which imitated small tiles.
The staircase has a reinforced concrete construction with half-turn stairs and a solid, brick balustrade with a wooden handrail. Inside, there are many surviving elements of the original fittings: three kinds of floors: a colourful mosaic of small square tiles called “iryski”, three-coloured terazzo in black (with pieces of white shells), cream and gold and a geometric black, white and yellow composition of the corset-shaped tiles. The metal post box (patent no. 13595 of 20.04.1931) and the double glazed swing door with metal railings in the entrance hall and the pinewood, panel apartment doors covered with mahogny-coloured wood stain and varnish on which you can still see the modernist “Bracia Lubert” handles and the “Cyklop” peepholes with metal frames for door plates are original too.
Bronisława and Antoni Konopko’s tenement house was entered into the register of monuments on 16.10.2009 under the no. 1856.