The Bergenske Office Building is located on the corner of Portowa and Świętego Wojciecha Streets in Gdynia. It was constructed in 1935–1936 by the Norwegian-Polish broking company – Towarzystwo Żeglugowe Bergtrans, sp. z o.o. based on the design by Wacław Tomaszewski.
Before the war, the building’s ground floor was dedicated to business and on the upper floors there were apartments and offices. During World War II, the office building served as Polizeipräsidium and today it is the City Police Headquarters. Its location is very convenient as it is easy to get from Plac Kaszubski to Gdynia’s port, which makes it a perfect place for the elegant building.
The building’s form is largely geometrical and it is composed of many linked elements but on the side of Portowa Street, it is tighter and on the side of Świętego Wojciecha Street it is more dispersed. It has a modern frame construction made from reinforced concrete and its elevations are covered with bright yellow limestone tiles. The elevation’s part from ground floor to the fifth one protrudes like a projection. The windows are arranged symmetrically and the ones on the ground and first floor are accompanied by recesses with decorative chequer sectioning.
The body of the building looks monumental and harmonised. The multiple windows light the building’s interior fantastically.
Today, the building is in good technical condition while the elevations finished with natural stone require conservator’s intervention.