A luxurious tenement house constructed in 1936-1937, which belonged to a Warsaw lawyer, Antoni Ogończyk-Bloch and a Gdynia architect Leon Mazalon (who designed it together with a Warsaw architect, Stefan Koziński) is located in the city centre, at the junction of Świętojańska and Marszałka Piłsudskiego Streets, opposite the Gdynia City Hall.
This tenement house is believed to be one of Gdynia’a best streamlined late functionalist buildings. It is also distinguished by a unique architectural composition, which, according to Maria Sołtysik, as unprecedented both in Gdynia and the entire country. It was probably inspired by the architecture of the expressionist forms of the buildings in Amsterdam's Holendrechstaat, however bricks were replaces with brighter material of the so-called Gdynia colour, which reflects light.
The tenement house was erected on an L-shaped plan. The expressionist and varied body of the building is its characteristic feature. It has a reinforced concrete frame filled with bricks. The wing on the side of Świętojańska Street has five storeys. The top floor of this wing is recessed in order to make room for a terrace. The building’s longer and larger wing (on the side of Marszałka Piłsudskiego Street) has six storeys and an entrance gate in the glazed in ground floor. Thanks to the ground floor glazing, its post and beam construction is visible. The modern asymmetrical rounded corner is also glazed in and has winter verandas on all floors. This corner also has a grooved moulding which is typical of Gdynia. The form of this corner is a reference to the ocean liner style, which is the architectural climax of this tenement house. It also connects two separate staircases of the building’s two wings and its body smoothly transforms into the elevation of the east part. The floors on the south elevation have four rows of small, rounded balconies (24 in total) whose semi-circular shape adds variety to the building as they create an impression of motion through light and shade.
Antoni Ogończyk-Bloch and Leon Mazalon’s tenement was entered into the register of monuments based on the decision of 29th March 2006 (no. A-1270).
Antoni Ogończych-Bloch and Leon Mazalon's Tenement House