Tadeusz Juliusz Jędrzejewski (1898–1939) – architecture engineer
He was born on 01.07.1898 in Psków (Russia). He was the son of Władysław and Katarzyna Ambrozewicz. Jędrzejewski finished Realschule in the city where he was born and in September 1916 began his studies at the St. Petersburg Polytechnic University’s Engineering and Construction Faculty. After the first semester of his studies, in February 1917, he was enlisted in the Russian army service. In the same year, he finished the Konstantinov Artillery School and received a promotion to the rank of a warrant officer. In 1918, he came to Warsaw to start his studies at the Faculty of Architecture at the Polytechnic there. He finished his studies 10 years later. It took longer than usual as he had to take breaks to complete his military service. Jędrzejewski received the architecture engineer’s diploma on 31st August 1928. He completed his graduation work which concerned monumental architecture with a grade rated as “good”.
In 1928, he came to Gdynia and started working with his colleague Włodzimierz Prochaska – a graduate of the Faculty of Architecture at the Warsaw University of Technology. In the same year, the architects established an Architectural Design Studio and the first projects they completed together were Wanda and Leon Stankiewicz’s tenement house in 53 Świętojańska Street (1928) and family Dutkiewicz’s tenement house “Opolanka” in 9 Piotra Skargi Street (1930). In 1928 Jędrzejewski designed the engineer Stanisław Pręczkowski’s tenement house in 10-12 Kościuszki Square. Together with Stanisław Garliński, Jędrzejewski developed the Set of Construction Laws Applicable in the City of Gdynia published by the Sea Coast Architects’ Club in Gdynia (1923).
Jędrzejewski and Prochaska designed a complex of terraced houses in Focha Street (1931) and in Krzywa Street (1931) for the Economic Housing Construction Cooperative founded by Włodzimierz Prochaska (1928).
In 1933, Jędrzejewski designed wooden houses for the workers which were commissioned by a municipal company called the Association for Housing Estate Construction (in Poprzeczna Street, Stawna Street, Tatrzańska Street) and brick houses for the clerks (Zarzyckiego Street, Słoneczna Street, Hetmańska Street).
Apart from the modern tenement houses and the modest houses for the Association for Housing Estate Construction, the architect also designed avant-garde villas – 8 Tatrzańska Street (1934), 14 Techniczna Street and 28 Ujejksiego Street (1935) as well as functional residential buildings – 19 Bema Street (1929), 20 Błękitna Street, 10 Biała Street and 2A Zakopiańska Street (1936).
Jędrzejewski was the initiator of the establishment of the Polish Architects’ Club in Gdynia and its first president. The Polish Architects’ Club in Gdynia was transformed into the Pomeranian Department of the Association of Polish Architects (1934).
In 1939, the architect designed a church for the Polish Evangelical Church in Gdynia. The facility was supposed to be located in 16 Leśna Street (today’s Wolności Street), but the outbreak of the World War II interrupted the plans.
On 28.09.1939, Tadeusz Jędrzejewski who was a reserve officer, was wounded in battle near Kutno and as a result died in Warsaw.