Stefan Reychman (1908–1939)
An architecture engineer and reserve lieutenant who came from a Jewish family which received a Calvinist baptism. He was born on 20th June 1908 in Warsaw. A member of the Pomeranian Branch of the Association of Polish Architects. In 1930, he received a diploma at the Faculty of Architecture at the Warsaw University of Technology.
Together with another architect, Jerzy Müeller, he completed several designs in Gdynia, for example the Gdynia Market Hall Complex (which was put in use in 1937) and several tenement houses, including Józef Skwiercz’s tenement house in 23 Świętojańska Street, the tenement house in 53 Władysława IV Street and Jan Kurr’s tenement house in 73 Świętojańska Street. As Maria Sołtysik has noticed, “the designs which he worked on together with Müeller had a clear mark of his artistic personality”. Apart from that, he designed together with the architect and urban planner, Bolesław Malisz, and Halina Kurpiowska.
For his work, he received several awards: for example, an equal joint prize in the competition for the Józef Piłsudski Public Library Building in Łódź in 1937 (co-author: Bolesław Malisz) and the third equal prize in the competition for the layout of the airport in Warsaw’s district Gocław in 1938 (co-author: Bolesław Malisz). Together with his brother, Jan Reychman, he published a monograph Rural Industry in the Polish Tatra Highlands (Muzeum Tatrzańskie, Zakopane, 1937), whose English version was published in 1970. Jan was the author of the text while Stefan made drawings for it.
Similarly to Stefan Ziołowski, Stefan Reychman was a participant of the September Campaign. He died on 11th September near Wejherowo at the age of 31. He was burried in the evangelical reformed cemetery in Warsaw.