STEFAN KOZIŃSKI (1902 –1976)
A Polish architecture engineer and urban planner born on 27th July 1902 in Sosnowiec. He was a member of the Warsaw Department of the Association of Polish Architects (Polish abbreviation: SARP) and in 1958-1960, a member of the Management Board of the Society of the Polish Town Planners. He founded a SARP club in Budapest. He studied at the Faculty of Architecture of the Warsaw University of Technology. In 1969, he received the title of Doctor of Technical Science. His diploma project “Presidential Palace in Aleje Ujazdowskie” was supervised by Prof. Czesław Przybylski.
In 1946, he won an equal prize in SARP’s competition no. 131 for an urban plan and conceptual design for the PKO headquarters in Warsaw (completed together with Józef Łowiński and Kazimierz Głowacki) and in 1954, he received the second equal prize in SARP’s competition no. 200 to design an inter-neighbourhood stadium in Warsaw’s Praga district. He also received a special mention for his design of the Warsaw Temple of Providence. He took part in the Royal Castle reconstruction works.
Koziński collaborated with various architects: Leon Mazalon (Antoni Ogończyk-Bloch and Leon Mazalon’s tenement house in 122 Świętojańska Street in Gdynia) and Bohdan Damięcki (the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) building in Gdynia in Żeromskiego Street). Among the buildings he designed, there are the Hungarian Embassy building in Warsaw and the Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face parish church in Włochy near Warsaw. Stefan Koziński is also the author of several publications, including Projektowanie obiektów handlowych (Designing Commercial Facilities) (Arkady, 1973) for which he won the Minister of Construction and Constraction Material Level 2 Award and the Minister of Local Economy and Environmental Protection Award.
He received many decorations, like the Gold Badge of Warsaw’s Reconstruction, Commander's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta and the Polish Medical Association’s Distinguished Person diploma.
A participant of the September Campaign. In 1944-1945, he was a prisoner of the KL Mauthausen camp. After returning to Poland, he became the head of the “East” urban planning unit in the Captial City Reconstruction Office. He died on 24th January 1976 in Warsaw.