Stanisław Płoski (1901–1968) architecture engineer.
He was born on 3rd May 1901 in Purzyce-Trojany in Ciechanów District. He was the son of Antoni and Maria Bojanowska. His education began in Mława. Then, he studied in Warsaw. In 1920, he began studies at the Faculty of Architecture at the Warsaw University of Technology.
As a student, he took many foreign trips, among others to Italy, and did his apprenticeships during the construction of the National Theatre and the Sejm building or in the Polish Architecture Unit where he took part in the monument inventory.
In 1928, he handed in his graduation work which concerned monumental architecture and graduated from the Faculty of Architecture at the Warsaw University of Technology with a grade rated as “good”. In 1928-1932, he trained in Rudol Świerczyński’s studio, where he participated in designing the Warsaw edifices: Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego and the Ministry of Communication.
In the capital city, he designed two tenement houses in Wiśniowa Street, a villa in 37 Kielecka Street and residential buildings in 22 Mickiewicza Street and 52 Mokotowska Street. In 1928, together with Juliusz Żórawski, Jan Graefe and Stanisław Piotrowski, he received one of three equivalent awards in the competition to build a building for the Polish diplomatic mission in Sophia.
Togehter with Kazimierz Krzyżanowski MSc, he designed a residential and office building for the Polish-Scandinavian Transport Association “Polskarob” in Gdynia in 8-10 Korzeniowskiego Street which was constructed in 1934 – 1935.
In 1936, another Gdynia building by Stanisław Płoski was blessed. It was the Swedish Seamen’s Home (Dom Marynarza Szwedzkiego) in 25 Jana z Kolna Street.
In 1933-1937, he worked as a clerk in the Supreme Chamber of Control and then, until 1939, he ran a private architectural design studio.
He was a participant of the September Campaign and between 1940 and 1944, he was a prisoner of war at the Woldenberg camp. After the end of the War, in 1945-1946, he cooperated with the Warsaw Reconstruction Office and for the two subsequent years, he was the head of a unit in the Design Office for Countryside Reconstruction.
In 1948-1950, he was the head of Central Architectural and Construction Design Office and for the next two years he was in charge of the Central Rural Construction Design Office. From 1951 to 1953, he was the designer at the “Miastoprojekt Specjalistyczne” Design Office. Then, until 1964, he served as the main architect for the Urban Planning and Architecture Committee and the Committee for Construction, Urban Planning and Architecture at the Mazowsze General Construction Design Office.
Płoski was also an assistant professor (1959-1960) and a lecturer at the Department of Architecture and Country Planning at the Warsaw University of Technology.
In 1964-1967, he worked for the Mazowsze General Construction Design Office. He served as a jury member of urban planning competitions organised by the Society of Polish Town Planners.
He was a member of the Warsaw branch of the Association of Polish Architects. He and his wife Zofia née Olszewska had no children.
Stanisław Płoski died on 26th September 1968 in Warsaw. He was buried in the Służewiec cemetery.
Together with Mikołaj Soroka and Robert Tauszyński, he prepared a book Wytyczne do wykańczania budynków w istniejących osiedlach ZOR (Guidelines on the Finishing Touches in the Existing ZOR Housing Estates) published by the Institute of Urban Planning and Architecture in 1956 in Warsaw.
Stanisław Płoski is the patron of the Technical Education School Complex in Ciechanów.