An architect born on 21st November 1876 in Wyłkowyszki (former Suwalski District). He studied architecture at the Academy of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg in 1895 – 1901 where he received a diploma with distinction and a foreign scholarship thanks to which he travelled to Sweden, Noway, Denmark, Austria and Italy.
In 1903, he began independent work in St. Petersburg and soon became a popular and highly regarded architect. He designed and built tens of buildings in St. Petersburg and in other Russian cities. The Mertens Trade House in St. Petersburg in 21 Nevsky Prospect in St. Petersburg was he key project. In 1903 – 1918, he was also a history of art and architecture lecturer at St. Petersburg universities, including the Women’s Polytechnic Institute. He was appointed the president of the Russian Association of Architects and Artists in 1915. In 1911, he received professor’s title in architecture.
He came to Poland in the summer of 1918 and began his career as a lecturer in the Warsaw School of Fine Arts and the Catholic University of Lublin. In 1920, he became a professor at the Faculty of Architecture of the Warsaw University of Technology and the head of the Ancient Architecture and Art Unit. In 1925 – 1927 he was the dean of the Faculty of Architecture and in 1935 – 1938 the deputy vice chancellor of the same university. Since 1909, he belonged to the Association for the Protection of the Past Monuments and in 1930 he became its president and performed the function until the war broke out. He participated in regaining the Polish cultural assets and in the negotiations of the Treaty of Riga. During the siege of Warsaw in 1939, he was the chief of the Emergency Technical Service. During the war, he participated in the underground teaching of architecture students. In 1943, he started teaching an the Civil and Water Engineering Faculty of State Higher Technical School. In the same year, he was forcibly displaced from his villa in 41 Górnośląska Street by Germans and he moved to 12 Muranowska Street.
He died on 17th September 1944, during an execution of civilians in 17 Dzika Street, during the Warsaw Uprising.
Above all, Marian Lalewicz designed constructions in the spirit of modernised classicism. In the 30s, probably under the influence of his son, he also adapted the style of modernist monumentalism. He converted and adapted the Warsaw monuments like the Pałac Namiestnikowski (Viceroy Palace), Raczynski Palace, Brühl Palace and Palace of the Ministry of Revenues and Treasury for government offices. He brought back the classicist character of the Staszic Palace, according to the designs by Corrazi. The seat of PKP’s management in Targowa Street is among his largest Warsaw buildings. He also built the seat of Bank Rolny (Agricultural Bank) in Nowogrodzka Street (1926 – 1928) and the Polish Geological Institute in in Wiśniowa Street (1925? – 1930). His work combined the historical past with modernity. He designed many buildings outside Warsaw, including banks in Kalisz, Sosnowiec, Lublin, Siedlce, Katowice, Toruń, Lutsk, Łódź and Gdynia. He also converted a monastery into the seat of the Catholic University of Lublin. In Gdynia, he also designed the complex of the Naval Fleet Command in the Oksywie district (1924 – 1927) together with the hospital (1930) and the garrison Church of Our Lady of Częstochowa (Kościół pw. Matki Boskiej Częstochowskiej) and the buildings for the Military Housing Fund – the officers’ one in Świętojańska Street and the non-commissioned officers’ one in Morska Street.