JERZY MÜLLER (1889–1963)
A pre-war Gdynia architect who was born in 1889. For two years, he studied at the Lviv Polytechnic and later at the Technical University of Munich Faculty of Architecture, where he graduated in 1912.
After he came to Gdynia in 1920, together with his partner, he founded one of the first companies registered in the Commercial and Administrative Register (“Gont” Pomorskie Towarzystwo Budowlane, inżynierowie J. Müeller & A. Rybiński) which went bankrupt three years later.
The architect spent some time in Radom, where he worked for the Directorate of State Railways. Until 1927, he was employed at the Ministry of Public Works.
In 1929, he returned to Gdynia where he became head of the Development Department at the Government Office. He was also a member of the City Growth Committee as an expert for Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego. He is the designer of The Holy Family Church in Gdynia Grabówek in 40 Kołłątaja Street (first of the three churches erected in the early 30s of the 20th century outside Gdynia’s centre) and a group of Gdynia tenement houses, like Eliza Nebe’s tenement house in 32 10 Lutego Street (his first project in Gdynia which was put in use on 15th October 1934), Jan Smaluk’s tenement house in 120 Świętojańska Street and several tenements designed together with the architect, Stefan Reychman, including the tenement of a Gdynia Kashubian man, Jan Kurr in 73 Świętojańska Street and Józef Skwiercz’s tenement in 23 Świętojańska Street (1935). Another project completed by the two architects was the avant-garde design of the City Market Hall Complex in Wojciech Radtke’s Street in Gdynia which was blessed and put in use on 11th November 1937.
In 1934, Jerzy Müeller designed the Semi-Detached Villa in Korzeniowskiego Street and three years later, the villa for Romuald and Anna Żukowski in 19 Tatrzańska Street. In October 1938, the construction of a villa in 8 Kasztelańska Street was finished. It was designed by Müeller for the supervisor of the “Schenker” company’s Gdynia branch, Bronisław Romański.
In 1938, the architect moved to Warsaw together with his family. A year later, he was called up. He took part in the Pomeranian Army’s campaign. In 1945, he returned to Warsaw after being a German prisoner. He died on 10th April 1963 and was burried in the Powązki Cemetery in Warsaw.