A distinguished modernist architect and winner of various awards. He was born on 13th June 1900 in Moscow. His artistic work had a large impact on the development of modern Polish architecture of the interwar period and the post-war years. He grew up in the pre-revolution Moscow, in a wealthy family with Burgundian roots. In 1918, the Lachert family moved to Warsaw. In 1920 – 1926, he studied architecture at the Faculty of Architecture of the Warsaw University of Technology. In 1921, he met Józef Szanajca, a future friend and co-founder of the “Lachert & Szanajca” studio which operated in years 1926 – 1939 (the cooperation was discontinued due Józef Szanajca’s sudden death at the beginning of World War II).
Lachert drew on Le Corbusier’s heritage. His friend shared his love for modern and functional architecture. The duo developed over one hundred and fifty designs together: functional houses, apartments for people with average income as well as villas and boarding houses, sanatoria, telephone exchanges, exhibition pavilions etc.
Lachert was a co-founder of the Association of Polish Architects and the Praesens group. In February 1945, Lachert became a member of the newly established Office for Capital City Reconstruction which was responsible for shaping the post-war Warsaw. He was the head of the Department of Architecture and Engineering there. In the same year, he became the head of the Industrial Architecture Unit at the Warsaw University of Technology (1945 – 1960), he received the title of an Associate Professor in 1948 and a Professor in 1966. In 1950 – 1954 he was the dean. During that time, Bohdan constructed and strengthened the political system – he had connections to the Polish Workers’ Party and the Polish United Workers Party. He worked mainly in Warsaw but he was deeply involved in the construction of Gdynia and promoting his country abroad.
Bohdan Lachert is famous mainly for the concept of constructing the district Muranów Południowy from years 1948 – 1956 (in the place where the Warsaw ghetto used to be). His house was the first building he designed (it was also the first avant-garde building in Warsaw). It was constructed in 1928 – 1929 in Katowicka Street in Saska Kępa. It was inspired by Rudolf Świerczyński’s work (it was Lachert’s diploma work during his studies). His designs in Gdynia are: Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego at the junction of 10 Lutego Street and Poniatowskiego Street from 1927, “Victoria Regia” boarding house in 11 Henryka Sienkiewicza Street (Gustaw Pełka’s house) design from 1927, complexes of residential buildings for the Office Worker Insurance Company in Poznań (PL: Zakład Ubezpieczeń Pracowników Umysłowych – ZUPU) design from 1930. Lachert defined his work as a modernist form with social content.
For his achievements, Bohdan Lachert was awarded an Officer's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta, a Golden Badge for the Reconstruction of Warsaw and in 1984 he received a prestigious award of the Association of Polish Architects. He died on 8th January 1987 in Warsaw and was buried in the Powązki Military Cemetery.